Exercise & Menopause: The Path to Wellness
When the topic of exercise arises, the responses can be as diverse as the people themselves. From “I don’t have any time” to “I’m on my feet all day” or “I go swimming twice a week,” exercise habits vary widely. But when it comes to women’s health, especially during menopause, the significance of exercise cannot be overstated.
The Menopausal Milestone: Osteoporosis and Hormone Shifts
As we journey through life, one profound change occurs, and that is menopause. Hormone levels, particularly oestrogen, drop during this phase, and this has a direct impact on bone density and structure. Women are at a significantly higher risk of developing osteoporosis compared to men. Several additional risk factors, including smoking, excessive alcohol intake, low body weight, poor nutrition, certain medical conditions, and long-term use of oral steroids, can compound the risk.
The Power of Strength-Based Exercises
Incorporating strength-based exercises into their routine can be a game-changer for women, particularly during perimenopause and beyond. Strength training can enhance bone density, reduce the risk of osteoporosis, and boost overall health and well-being.
The emphasis here is not about achieving a “bikini body” or becoming a bodybuilder. Instead, it’s about becoming stronger and fitter, improving mobility, and being more functional in everyday life. These exercises can involve using your own body weight or incorporating equipment like dumbbells and Olympic bars. Regardless of your current fitness level, the aesthetic practitioners at RT Aesthetics in Newcastle Upon Tyne are here to guide you on your journey to building strength, boosting confidence in your movement and lifting capabilities, and reducing your risks of age-related and hormone-linked conditions such as osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular disease.
The Broader Benefits of Exercise During Menopause
Incorporating regular exercise into your routine during menopause offers numerous advantages beyond just strengthening your bones. Here are some additional benefits:
- Hormonal Regulation: Exercise can help regulate hormones and alleviate some of the symptoms associated with menopause, including hot flushes, mood swings, and sleep disturbances.
- Weight Management: Menopause often leads to weight gain, especially around the abdomen. Regular exercise, including aerobic activities and strength training, can help control weight by boosting metabolism and preserving muscle mass.
- Cardiovascular Health: As oestrogen levels decline, women become more susceptible to cardiovascular disease. Exercise significantly improves cardiovascular health by lowering blood pressure, enhancing cholesterol profiles, reducing the risk of heart disease, and improving overall cardiovascular function.
- Mental Well-Being: Menopause can accompany mood swings, anxiety, and depression. Exercise triggers the release of endorphins, natural mood-enhancing chemicals, leading to improved mental well-being and reduced symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Sleep Quality: Many women experience disrupted sleep patterns during menopause. Regular exercise has enhanced sleep quality and duration, facilitating better rest and minimizing sleep disturbances.
- Cognitive Function: Hormonal changes during menopause can affect cognitive function and increase the risk of cognitive decline. Exercise has been associated with improved cognitive function, including enhanced memory, attention, and overall brain health.
The Dynamic Duo: EMSculpt Neo and Emsella
Now, let’s delve into two revolutionary treatments offered at RT Aesthetics in Newcastle Upon Tyne that can take your exercise efforts to the next level and enhance your overall well-being during menopause.
EMSculpt Neo: EMSculpt Neo is a groundbreaking treatment that combines high-intensity electromagnetic technology with radiofrequency to build muscle and reduce fat simultaneously. This innovative approach can help you achieve the muscle strength and tone you desire, even if you have limited time for exercise. EMSculpt Neo is non-invasive, painless, and highly effective. It can complement your strength-based exercises by targeting specific muscle groups, delivering more efficient results.
Emsella: Emsella is a state-of-the-art device designed to strengthen pelvic floor muscles. It can be particularly beneficial for women during menopause who may experience issues like urinary incontinence or decreased sexual satisfaction. Emsella’s non-invasive approach can help you regain control over your pelvic floor health and overall well-being.
Combining strength-based exercises with these advanced treatments allows you to embark on a holistic journey towards enhanced bone density, cardiovascular health, weight management, mental well-being, sleep quality, and cognitive function.
Consult Our Experts
Ready to start or continue your journey towards improved well-being during menopause? Make an appointment with RT Aesthetics in Newcastle Upon Tyne, and consult with our experts to explore how EMSculpt Neo and Emsella can complement your exercise routine and enhance your overall health. We’re here to support your entire well-being, helping you stay strong and vibrant through the menopausal years and beyond.